5 Important tips about caring for your mattress
- Use a mattress protector. Your mattress accumulates dust, skin cells and moisture. Using a waterproof quality mattress protector will safeguard your investment and keep your mattress free from stains and increase the lifespan of your mattress.
- Don’t jump on a mattress. Jumping on a mattress puts excessive force in singular spots in the support system and will cause damage to the springs and extra wear on the upholstery layers.
- Use a good foundation or bed base. If your mattress does not get support from the bottom then it will start to sag and ruin the support system. A manufacturer recommended support base will go a long way to ensuring you’re getting the most out of your mattress.
- Don’t use the edges of a mattress as a chair. Mattress springs are adjusted to weight – the springs are designed to support your body weight over the entire surface area of the mattress, not just one spot. Constantly applying your body weight on one particular section will cause that section to soften or fail prematurely.
- Don’t lift a mattress by it’s handles. Handles, where now seldom provided, are only there to position a mattress from left to right. They should not be used to transport a mattress, lift or flip a mattress.